The Fair Committee is deeply appreciative of County Councillor Derek Bastiman for his support in providing a grant from his County Councillor Locality Budget towards the cost of providing new storage racking for the Fair’s equipment.
The new racking, which is just as vital a piece of equipment as the equipment itself, has the following beneficial effects:
- It reduces the risk of damage and/or unnecessary wear and tear to equipment
- It enables us to ensure that all equipment used is returned to the store and put in its designated storage bay thus reducing the risk of loss or miss-placement
- It reduces the health and safety risk factor by making it safer to access and use the equipment
- It increases the storage capacity for future equipment acquisitions in order to cater for new initiatives
- It plays a big part in ensuring the long term success of the Fair as without our equipment, being kept safe, in good order and ready for use, this would not be possible
How does it benefit the community?
The Fair’s Organising Committee Chairman Tom Cathcart said:
The new racking ensures we can carry on the Fair and increase the longevity of our equipment and also ensures the equipment is safe to use and more easily accessible. It also bodes well for the long term continuance of the Fair which is generously supported by the local community, as well as the wider community, thus ensuring the Fair plays its part in bringing the local community together and thus plays a part in promoting the health and wellbeing of the Community.
Scalby Fair is enjoyed by the young and not so young alike and many people eagerly look forward to Scalby Fair Week and its many attractions, especially the main Fair Day with its 40+ stalls and entertainment for all ages. The Fair keeps alive the traditional fair of old and combines it with current attractions thus making it as relevant today as it was when Scalby Fair officially started in 1978.
Without our equipment, and without it being in good order, we could not possibly ensure that the Fair is staged each year. The Committee thanks our fellow committee member Mick McGuinn whose determination drove the idea forward and he designed, organised and built the racking with assistance from fellow Committee Members. Once again we give grateful thanks to and appreciate the support of County Councillor Derek Bastiman and North Yorkshire County Council for their grant without which this project would not have been completed.
Long live Scalby Fair.